Programs and Activities
BalaVihar is held every Sunday in the Cultural Center from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm during September through May. Due to the present COVID-19 situation all classes will be held online via Zoom.
The goals of Balavihar are to Promote, instill, and foster Indian culture in children of our community to build character, self-esteem and leadership to raise them as responsible and compassionate citizens.
The class follows the BalaVihar curriculum, which is the version of Chinmaya missions Vedic Heritage teaching program (balavihar). Prayers, Shlokas, Stotras and Yoga are also taught.
Class Structure and Curriculum:
- Kindergarten : The Alphabet Safari
- 1st grade – Bala Ramayana
- 2nd grade – Sri Hanuman the Superman
- 3rd grade – Bala Bhagvatam
- 4th grade – Krishna Krishna Everywhere; My 24 Teachers
- 5th grade – Symbolism in Hinduism
- 6th grade – India, The Sacred Land
- 7th grade – P.O. Box Mr.God; Key to Success
- 8th grade – Yato Dharmah, Tato Jayah
- 9th grade – Hindu Culture
- 10th, 11th, 12th grade – Gita for Youth;Community outreach and activities, volunteering
- Adults – Vedanta Study Group
“Children are not vessels to be filled but lamps to be lit. The seed of
spiritual value should be sown in young hearts…It must be cared for with
the warmth of love and affection, and such a tree shall blossom forth
flowers of brotherhood, love, peace, bliss, and Perfection.”.
– Pujya Swami Chinmayananda
We try to make the classes very interactive and fun for the children. We celebrate festivals. We sing, chant, and explore our rich heritage through many stories! We end the academic year with the Annual Heritage Day which showcases the students’ knowledge learned throughout the year.
~ BalaVihar Sevaks and Sevikas
For inquiries, email the class coordinator at [email protected]